Saturday, August 27, 2005

The Seniors' Conspiracy

1964.
Oakridge Mall, Vancouver.
Woodwards Furniture.

I thought I was going to die...of embarrassment. My parents were purchasing a new couch, for the den, that would convert to a bed for guests. And the MOST EMBARRASSING thing in the world happened right in front of my eyes. My dad lay down on the bed, in public, to try it out! I ran from the store, out to the mall, to escape such hideous and unfounded punishment as witnessing such a debasing event.

The point is, of course, that what seems like emotional-overhaul to a teenager seems normal, reasonable, and sane to an adult.

If I was buying a new mattress or new couch now as an adult you bet I'd try it out. Who wouldn't?

The Seniors' Conspiracy
2005
Cloverdale, Casa Mia

Passing successfully through middle age to the peaceful la-la land of seniority brings more than a wealth of trying out new mattresses.

There is very little of life that hasn't been experienced. Savored. Life's cycles have been re-cycled more than once. What was good bears repeating again. What was bad bears repeating too, with an acerbic wit and derision.

Seniors don't waste words. They don't waste time. Why suffer fools gladly when the cycles in life seem to be repeating a bit more quickly these days?

The Seniors' Conspiracy is the legacy of sharing adventures from the past; however, not to recreate them but to filter the lifeblood, the joie de vivre, the esprit of our lives through the layers of time.

Dude! It's kind of like a shape-shifter. Seniors morph through words, that's all.

No comments: